Friday, January 27, 2012

Straitjacket Fits - Melt




  A welcome mat of sorts.  Here is the sophomore release from this Flying Nun heavyweight.  New Zealand's contribution to the explosion of indie pop and twee bands during the late '80's and early '90's cannot be overlooked when discussing such outfits as The Clean, Look Blue Go Purple, Dead C, and my personal favorite, Straitjacket Fits.  I don't remember when I first heard  Melt but I knew I was nuked from the start.


  The vocal companionship on this record between guitarists Shayne Carter and Andrew Brough is nothing short of amazing given that the two project very different sounding styles of play.  Carter's guitar work on the opening track  "Bad Note For a Heart," and following in "Missing Presumed Drowned," is so gritty (read:kiwi) sounding compared to Brough's  more jangled and pop-driven tracks like "Down in Splendour" and "Hand in Mine."  When their worlds collide in the album's heaviest  track "A.P.S." I'm left feeling like I'm hearing this band for the first time.


  Apparently they're still kinda big in the college town of Dunedin, NZ, re-uniting for a brief tour in 2005,  but I imagine that finding actual copies of this or any of their other releases is hard.  If anyone knows anything more about that, please share with us. 



-Frank
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment